Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Big Apple

It all began with a sentence and an apple. Ten minutes...one sentence...about an apple. Sounds simple doesn't it? Until you're told that you'll be reading that sentence to the class and critiqued afterward, all within the first 30 minutes of the first class! This changes things, especially for me, a person that is neither creative nor adventurous in my writing. Immediately I feel slightly nervous as I scan the apple related thoughts popping into my head knowing the clock is ticking away relentlessly. All day, I urge it speed up until know when I wish my 10 minutes would stretch out to 15 or 20, so that I can find the perfect thoughts to generate the perfect words and create a perfect sentence that will wow my audience.

I decide to jot down qualities that I desire in an apple and the next thing I know I'm equating the apple to life, truly the "big apple." I barely finish my 10 minute sentence as our instructor demands that we drop our pens; better late than never. As others stand to read theirs to the class I can't help but judge my own and doubt that it will compare. I am slightly comforted as I realize how very different each sentence is from another. Finally, I stand to read mine, questioning each word as I speak it and wondering whether I'm even making sense. "An apple can often be a microcosm of the unpredictable nature of life; sometimes crisp and noisy, soft and tender, or sometimes tart, sour, and hopefully sweet." Relief washes over me as I sink into my seat, glad to have broken the ice, and awaiting my critique. The positive, constructive criticism that my kindhearted classmate provided was more than encouraging. I can now move forward.

This one little sentence has opened the door for me to enter and explore the depths of my passion and creativity as they come together and relate to food and health. I hope to inspire others to cultivate a healthful relationship with food, both in cooking and in eating, to nourish oneself for optimal wellness. Welcome to my journey! 

4 comments:

  1. Now the rest of the world will find out that your true calling is to be a Hallmark card writer! Nice first blog entry Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud to share your journey my lady! Beautifully written post, and so true! You inspire me to experiment with good food and new ideas and I can't wait until you're back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Bairds just a kill joy.....who knew how an apple could inspire such poetry and similarity with life! Oh maybe only 2 my beautifully talented Roonie. I love u precious girl. You r an inspiration 2 me for sure...and one question? Is it usual for soy milk 2 get thick after one week in the frig? Do u have 2 throw it out or add water? Plz let me know....Thank god I have u for the hard questions in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be taking writing about food and health-- I really liked that class! You are off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete